Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Friday

Feet? Feet? Where are my feet?




Living with relapse-remitting multiple sclerosis means walking a strange path. Often, we may seem to cover miles with reasonable ease, taking the MS life in stride. But at other times, usually without warning, the most curious neurological symptoms can bring us to our knees.

Daily, we walk a veritable tightrope between normalcy and numbness, movement and misery, spryness and spasticity, energy and exhaustion, vigor and vertigo, wherewithal and weariness, power and pain.

If you are an MSer (or if you know and love one), then you might understand.



For most of my life, I have jumped into all sorts of experiences with both feet.

Maybe that’s just how I’m wired. And I kind of think it’s hereditary, because I come from a family of ready-set-goers. I’m not one to drag my feet, except when MS foot-drop kicks in. Or when the MS MonSter somehow steps on my toes and makes them go numb.

Then it’s as if my feet have somehow slipped away.

Sure, I know they are there. I can see them. I can touch them. But I cannot feel them. Or they actually hurt. Or they don’t obey what I ask them to do.

MS is a crazy thing. Our own bodies betray us in the weirdest ways sometimes. And that’s no walk in the park.

It’s OK. I hope to be back on my feet again tomorrow.

Image/s:
Adapted by Kicking MS to the Curb
from public domain artwork

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.
You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook and the Making the Most of MS board on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment