Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Friday

Got MS? Should you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

 Multiple sclerosis warriors are wrestling with this sticky question, as pharmaceutical giants feverishly roll out their own versions of coronavirus vaccines. For many, this is an answer to prayer. But for MSers, the whole COVID-19 issue may be stealing our sleep.

 

The answer is that there is no easy answer.

I’m not playing click-bait or bait-and-switch here. It’s the reality.

 

MS is different for everyone who has it. And that colors the answer about the vaccine.

Each of us needs to make his or her own inquiries about the vaccine.

At this moment, it seems specific testing has not been done with MS patients and COVID-19 vaccinations. That makes our decision more difficult. It does appear a group of MS experts are examining the possibilities, so we may learn more about this eventually.

Here are the questions I have asked, in my personal search for answers about the accepting a coronavirus vaccine. Frustratingly, there are at least two sides to every answer.

 


What kind of MS do I have?

Life is very different for those with the more progressive forms of MS than it is for those of use currently living with relapse-remitting MS (RRMS). So is the COVID-19 threat.

 

Based on my type of MS, how should I proceed?

Those with progressive types of MS may be categorized as high-risk and boosted ahead in the line to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. The coronavirus can be extra dangerous for those already immunocompromised and physically challenged in various ways by MS. On the other hand, their personal medical conditions (and MS medications) may increase their risk of MS complications arising in response to the vaccine.

Those of us with RRMS tend to have stretches of time (of unpredictable duration) where some or most of our symptoms seem to abate. Of course, the last thing we want to do is awaken the sleeping giant. COVID-19 can do exactly that. Can the vaccine to that too?

 

Am I taking medications that may compromise my immune system?

Many of the disease-modifying therapies commonly prescribed for MS are aimed directly at the immune system. That may forestall some MS flare-ups, but it can also leave a person extra vulnerable to infection. And that includes the coronavirus. For that reason, a physician might direct an MS patient to have the COVID-19 vaccine.

At the same time, lots of experts recommend MSers refrain from this vaccine (and perhaps also flu shots) because those shots are intended to cause the body to produce antibodies. That means rousing the immune system.

The issue is really a double-barreled shotgun for anyone with MS.

 

Which would be worse, catching COVID-19 or reacting to the vaccine?

It’s a crap shoot for sure. The simplest response sounds like a pat answer, but it rings true:

Check with your own MS doctor.

Sorry, that’s the best we can do.

 

Which COVID-19 vaccine will I be offered?

It’s too early to tell, at least around here. Currently, two coronavirus vaccines are in play, with more potentially entering the arena soon. Each may come with its own set of potential side effects and risks. We may or may not have the opportunity to pick which shot we receive, as shipments seem to target various organizations and facilities.

We kind of have to watch and wait … and pay attention.

 

As for me, I am generally leaning towards receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

I took a flu shot for the first time in a decade last fall. And I had minimal adverse reactions. I did feel a little funky for a couple days, but I have (so far) avoided the flu. My hopes are high that I will respond similarly to the COVID-19 vaccine.

 

My opinion about the COVID-19 vaccine may change before I am eligible for it.

We are likely to learn a lot more in the coming months, so I’ll be reevaluating my position on an ongoing basis. My personal characteristics place me pretty far down the list in vaccine priority.

I refuse to pass judgment on anyone who does or does not choose to have the coronavirus vaccine, although I do look forward to the day when the pandemic lifts.

 

On the up-side, we MSers are pretty good about enduring injections.

We definitely take this in stride. I cannot tell you how many people I have heard complaining about having to get a COVID-19 vaccine, simply because they dread shots.

Heck, we could do it ourselves!

 

Related items:

 

Image/s: Adapted from public domain image.

 

Feel free to follow on Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook and the Making the Most of MS board on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment