Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Friday

MS and vision: How many types of glasses do I need?

 

Vision is an issue for almost everyone battling multiple sclerosis, or so it seems. Most of us have experienced optic neuritis in one or both eyes, when MS attacks the optic nerve, wreaking havoc on eyesight. We face tunnel vision, color blindness, eye pain, loss of depth perception, and general blurriness until it subsides. If we’re lucky, most of the damage is temporary – at least, until the next episode.

 Vertigo is another common complaint among those with MS. Reeling, unsteadiness, and dizziness can crop up anytime. And they do.

 


That makes vision care considerably more complex for MSers.

 Personally, I’ve been through the wringer, when it comes to finding useful and appropriate eyewear.

 Initially, all I needed was a pair of basic magnifying readers. I’d pick these up for reading, computer work, crafting, and other close-up activities. It was enough to keep a few pairs in strategic spots around the house, office, car, and other locations for quick grabbing.

 Eventually, I grew tired of the constant off-and-ons. And, like many, I began needing some vision help with distance sight as well. So I tried bifocals.

 Ugh!

 I would imagine it’s tricky enough to nod one’s head constantly up and down, finding the sweet spots on bifocals for far and close sights. But with MS attacking spots up and down one’s spine, all that neck movement can be a real headache. (See what I did there?)

 And the shifting back and forth from near and far tends to be jarring. It sure was for me. So I tossed the bifocals.

 Then my eye doctor suggested progressive lenses.

 Oh, boy.

 Progressive lenses somehow blend the distance prescription down to the close-up prescription without visible dividing lines. They’re particularly pricey, but plenty of people crow about how wonderful they are. (Actually, I have never heard an MSer praise them, now that I think about it.)

 Ah, hindsight!

 OK, so the vision center expert minimized the possible struggles I might encounter, simply defining a “short-term learning process” with progressive lenses.

 That didn’t even come close to describing the blurriness, double vision, and vertigo I experienced when I began wearing a very pricey pair of progressive lens eyeglasses. Yes, I even barfed.

 Then I did a little reading on the issue. Apparently, progressive lenses can bring blurry vision, headaches, nausea, balance problems, and an impression of still objects bouncing around. Some people even trip or fall when wearing them. Sounds a little dizzying and disorienting, right? Just the ticket for someone with MS?

 I reverted to my trusty pairs of cheap readers. At the time, I still didn’t need much help for distance viewing. I figured I could live with a little squinting, rather than reeling from the weird lenses.

 

Ah, but things change in time, don’t they?

 My latest eye exam revealed I need more distance vision help. When I protested about bifocals and progressives, my eye doc recommended I try using one pair of glasses for distance and another for close-up.  And because most of my need for distance viewing is while driving, I also picked out a pair of prescription sunglasses.

 Gee, this will be fun, trying to keep track of all that eyewear.

 Life with MS. No one ever said it would be simple.

 

Related items:

·        Eye Pain - Facing MS symptoms from A to Z

  Image/s: public domain photp

 

 

Feel free to follow on Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook and the Making the Most of MS board on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment