Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Wednesday

Can infirmity be a blessing?

 

I met a woman in a wheelchair yesterday. And she’s a miracle. Her cheerful attitude and upbeat outlook inspired me more than I knew I needed.

 

 This lady was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis almost 50 years ago. She’s battled the beast ever since.

 MS research has come a long way in the past five decades. Back then, when this dear new friend was diagnosed, doctors had very little to offer her. None of today’s disease-modifying treatments were available. Physicians could only address some of the MS symptoms, as they arose.

 This sweet lady is basically bedridden. Her husband, recently retired from a lifelong career, cares for her daily needs and more. He’s a marvel.


 

 The two of them came out to address a monthly fellowship group to which I belong. Their appearance required herculean efforts on both their parts. They said they rose at 6 am to prepare for the event. They said she almost never leaves their home.)

 As they spoke, recounting their story, sheer joy fairly seeped from their pores. He said it was the greatest blessing of his life to care for his beloved wife, feeding and dressing and assisting her in every way. She sang his praises as well. Honestly, they were adorable.

 After their brief presentation, I was able to slip across the room and introduce myself to her. I leaned down by her and told her I shared the same diagnosis. She looked up at me with a contagious smile and a light in her eyes. Yes, despite her physical limitations, this woman jumped at the opportunity to encourage someone else.

 I thanked her for coming and said I hoped she would not be overly exhausted by the effort.

 “Honey,” she answered. “I’ll be done in tomorrow, but it’s worth it.”

 Seriously, I’d been feeling a little cranky that morning. I’d had a few unexpected inconveniences that cluttered my progress before the meeting. I arrived just in the nick of time, struggling a bit to show up with a chipper attitude.

 

Boy, was I missing something!

 Then I heard this lovely couple’s story.

 I do not know why MS has crippled her and left me still standing with nearly full physical faculties. I cannot explain why she is restricted to her bed and sometimes her wheelchair, while I'm out hiking and biking and participating in nearly every activity I choose.

 People often tell me I’m staving off MS with all of my exercising. They claim to be astounded when I run a race or log the year’s number in annual miles. Sure, pursuing physical fitness can make us healthy in all sort of ways. But MS can still sideline anyone, seemingly randomly, no matter how much we try to fight it.

 Other claim that a solid faith can keep MS at bay. I believe in faith. But I also know extremely faith-filled people (like my new friend) who have been attacked viciously by MS. And my faith seems feeble next to hers (if it’s even fair to compare). I know God is able to heal and sustain anybody. But I cannot begin to understand why some still struggle immeasurably, while others seem to face simpler challenges.

 I cannot tell you why MS boxes in some people and allows others to keep on going in all sorts of physical ways.

 But I can earnestly tell you that this dear lady is still going strong, even if it’s from her own bed. And I am both impressed and inspired.

 That’s hope.

 I don’t know if infirmity can be a blessing. But she surely is.

 

Related items:

 

Image/s:  Adapted from public domain image. Word cloud generated by this user.

 

Feel free to follow on Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment