Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Saturday

Got up. Got dressed. And got back in bed.



Score one for the MonSter today.

Sometimes, it just works that way. But, hey. It’s Saturday – and a holiday weekend.

I had the best intentions. I’d planned to rise early and run. I really need to. I’m registered for a 5K race in two weeks, and I am not nearly ready this time.

But multiple sclerosis is uncanny and unreasonable.

Symptoms like fatigue, pain, and vertigo often stage their collective ambush, and it’s pretty much impossible to see it coming.

This morning, around 1:30 a.m., the MonSter hit me with a vengeance … and a migraine.

And an MS migraine is a breed all by itself.

If you’re an MSer, you already know that. And you may be shaking your own throbbing head. Sorry about that.

So, at this obscene hour of night, I staggered to the sink and downed some ibuprofen. I thrashed around in bed for a few hours, praying for relief.

By 6 a.m., the beast was still raging, so I stumbled out of bed and grabbed stronger meds. I reeled around in the shower, holding the safety rail on the wall and trying to clear my throbbing head. I dressed in my running clothes, still hoping for a quick rally.

I crawled back into bed, still wearing my workout wear and with my hair still wet and uncombed.

You know … desperate times and all.

One point for the MonSter.

Now, a few hours later, the brain is still in pain. The MS migraine hasn't let go. But I’m planning to come out swinging later.

I’m stubborn that way. And I’m a mom. That means I’m on duty – even on a holiday weekend. MonSter, you've been warned.

 
Image/s:
Created by this user
from vintage artwork

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon. Even with MS I don't run, I walk much better for my joints and arthritis, get the same exercise just takes a bit longer. Been using a fitbit to keep track of steps/miles/calories burned etc. Love the way it synch's to my computer, phone, and ipad.

    ReplyDelete