Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Friday

MSers sometimes gotta laugh at ourselves




The MS MonSter isn’t funny. Not at all. But sometimes our own antics can crack us up – in more ways than one.

OK, maybe that’s not funny, either. Dropping and breaking things, or falling and breaking ourselves are anything but comical.

And if anyone else laughs first at our neurologically-induced clumsiness, the whole army of MSers might band together to teach that tacky and heartless hooligan a lesson.

But when we do it ourselves, it can be downright hilarious.

I cannot count the number of times I’ve had a slew of dropsies, as items have slipped right out of my hands without warning. 

Or the many moments when I’ve found myself flat on the floor, suddenly staring at sky. 

How about those unpredicted encounters with doors or walls or furniture or inanimate objects, either in the dark or in plain daylight?

More than once, I wondered what a police officer on night duty might think, if he asked me to walk in a straight line and found that (stone cold sober) I might miss the mark.

Don’t even get me started about falling upstairs. That’s a real trip.

Hey, I have a doctor’s note for that.

Score three points against the MonSter.

Laughing at others may be cruel. But poking fun at ourselves just might make us feel better.

Image/s:
Created by this user
on RedKid

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page Facebook.

1 comment: