Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Saturday

I'm gonna run 1,000 miles for MS




Color me crazy. (I know. MS is all in my head, right?) I just joined a 1,000-mile challenge. But I have a whole year to rack up those miles (running or walking). That comes to approximately 2.74 miles per day – if I run every day for the next 365. I am pretty sure I will skip a day, every now and then, but I generally run more than that when I go. So it should work out OK, if the MS MonSter behaves.

It’s called the 1,000 Mile Challenge to Hike/Walk/Run 1,000 Miles, and it runs from June 6, 2015, through June 5, 2016. That means it started today – but it’s not too late to join.

Participants ante up $19 apiece (or $39, if you want the event tee shirt). Signup includes membership in a private Facebook group, monthly rankings and statistics, and a personalized certificate of completion at the end.

50% of the registration fee benefits the charity of the participant’s choice (based on a list of dozens of charitable organizations on the event site).

1,000 Mile Challenge participants keep logs of miles on charts and report them monthly for credit.

From the listed charities for the 1,000 Mile Challenge, I selected the National MS Society. So I am running for MS in the next 365 days. And, God willing, I’m gonna hit that 1,000-mile mark.
 
As of today, I am 5.6/1,000 of the way there already.

I’m also signed up with Charity Miles, using a free smartphone app. Every mile leads to a sponsor donation to charity. I’ve run to benefit Special Olympics – at least until Charity Miles adds the National MS Society.

And she’s off -----

Image/s:
1,000 Mile Challenge
Promo artwork
Fair use
Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter

1 comment: