Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Monday

Maybe it's one of those imMeaSurable Mondays




Sometimes the most welcome weekend leaves an MSer, or perhaps anyone, wholly unprepared for the start of the week. We’re not talking about administrative details, homework, training, or other tangible concerns.

This is all about energy, whim, and wherewithal.

19th Century novelist George Eliot put it this way in Adam Bede (1859):

“There’s no work so tirin’ as danglin’ about an’ starin’ n’ not rightly knowin’ what you’re goin’ to do next; and keepin’ your face i’ smilin’ order like a grocer o’ market-day for fear people shouldna think you civil enough.”

Pretty much.

So far today, I’ve been in three states: Illinois, Wisconsin, and exhaustion.

I’ve kept two appointments and run a handful of errands. I’ve completed half a day’s docket of deskwork, handled a fair amount of housework, and blasted through a bunch of busywork.

I’m not nearly done. And I’m tired.

But I’m still slugging and smiling. 

Maybe nobody knows I’m totally trashed today.

OK, the MonSter knows it was a full weekend, teeming with fun activity, and that I’m running on fumes. But he and I are still sparring. My gusto tank is empty, but I’m not down and out yet.

Maybe you know the feeling.

Occasionally, it just seems easier to go on grinning and keep up whatever pace is possible, instead of grappling with a gazillion questions about MS symptoms. Sure, empathy is a wonderful gift, but sometimes the mere explaining is nearly overwhelming.

Image/s:
George Eliot / Adam Bede quotation artwork
Created by this user on generator template

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment