Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Friday

My shower looks like a crime scene




Trust me. A hot shower is not an MSer’s friend. This morning was a close call (or a close shave) for me. And it wasn’t pretty.

Here’s the thing.

I’m trying like heck to kick MS’ butt. And some days, I sort of do. Other days, it’s a whole different story.

If you live with MS, or if you know and love someone who does, then you know the drill.

So, today I’m prepping for my first 5K race of the season.

I know I’m not destined for a super fast run today, but I figured I’d try to shave a few seconds off my time (on the course and on my calendar) by shaving in the shower.

Bad idea.

MSers know how heat can bring all of our symptoms to the surface. Uhthoff’s syndrome is well-documented, and I should have seen this coming.

Not too sharp, eh?

There went my eyesight, just as the razor touched my skin in the steamy shower. Optic neuritis and shaving don’t get along so well.

Did I mention the Excedrin I’ve been taking for a persistent MS migraine this week? Yeah, that contains aspirin, a known blood thinner.

Oh, boy!

Somebody might have to call the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation crew. My shower looks like a TV crime scene.

Image/s:
Created by this user
With public domain artwork

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment