Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Saturday

MiScue: Shouldn't have skipped the pre-emptive ibuprofen




Hallelujah! I lived through the first 5K race of the season, keeping a steady (though slow) pace and running without crawling. The final times haven't yet been posted, but I came in close to a half an hour. 

Not great, but not terrible for a 50-something with multiple sclerosis. It's a start - for the season.

But I am paying for it today.

What was I thinking, going to bed last night without taking a couple of just-in-case ibuprofen?


Because, as any MSer knows, "just in case" is pretty much a given.


I’m not much of a drinker, but I have heard plenty about hangovers. And I am fairly sure the MS hangover (from overdoing activity) can rival anything alcohol can dish out.

How long does it take an MSer (particularly a relapse-remitting multiple sclerosis battler) to learn to budget energy and exertion appropriately? This isn’t as simple as it sounds, because RRMS is wholly unpredictable. The energy bank account ebbs and flows, essentially operating without reason. 

Actually, I feel pretty good this morning, although my body begs to differ a bit.

So, with nerves tingling and muscles aching, I’m off to a two-day horse show. No, I’m not likely to compete this time. I’ll be taking pictures, helping out, and probably riding a horse or two on the grounds.

And tonight – you can bet – I’ll be reaching for that ibuprofen. Hey, I’m no dummy. Fool me once …

Image/s:
Created by this user
With public domain artwork

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment