Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Friday

Genuine: Describing multiple sclerosis from A to Z




“I have MS.”



“What? No way!”

Seriously, it happens. Just because I’m up and clothed and walking, people question whether I actually have MS. If I happen to be riding my horse (on a not-so-terribly-whirling vertigo day), pedaling a bicycle, or running a road race, their incredulity is even more dramatic.

“C’mon. You don’t have MS.”

I appreciate that these folks may not size me up as a victim of a dreadful disease. I get that they are probably trying to be affirming in some ill-informed way.

Still, sometimes I just wanna say:

“Here’s my doctor’s name and number. Give him a call, and you can give him the second degree. Oh, wait. I really don’t want you poking around in my personal medical information. Just take my word for it.”

My MRI scans, if I chose to share them (which I don’t), don’t lie.

Maybe you know the feeling. Why should we be asked to account for, explain, or prove something that is absolutely real, but also absolutely our own business?


MS is genuine.

What does genuine even mean? It’s all about authenticity, factuality, freedom from pretense, legitimacy, and realness. It's the truth.

MS is definitely genuine.

Even when our toes aren’t numb, our hands don’t shake, our heads don’t reel, and our eyes don’t blink dimly in broad daylight. Even on those days when we get out there and do more than you do, it’s genuine. On our worst days and our best days, until a cure is found, this thing is most assuredly real. We’re not faking. We aren’t dreaming up a disease. And we’re not kidding.


Related item/s:


Image/s:
April A to Z Challenge 2016 logo – fair use
 Adapted from public domain artwork

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter.  You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook and the Making the Most of MS board on Pinterest as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment