Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Wednesday

A-Z promising quotes: Miracles


Maybe you believe in miracles. I do.

I believe miraculous healings are possible – even with multiple sclerosis. They may not happen often, or to folks we know personally. Or maybe we just don’t hear about them enough. But I believe miracles can happen.

I like what Audrey Hepburn (1929-1993), actress and humanitarian, said about miracles:

“I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.”

What a cheery, upbeat attitude.

Audrey Hepburn wasn’t diagnosed with MS. But she had abdominal cancer, which took her life during her early 60s. Clearly, she understood suffering. Probably, she prayed for a miracle more than once.

I’m not trying to go all Pollyanna here.

Having lived with an MS diagnosis for many years – and likely, with MS for a whole lot longer than that, I get it. I understand that MS can be a total drag. And, even if we look for the so-called silver linings, life with MS is still just plain hard.

Those with the most progressive forms of MS know this best.

Perhaps miracles don’t always have to be remarkable occurrences for them to be miraculous. Often, I am amazed when MS symptoms unexpectedly abate during moments when I simply cannot afford to be sidelined.

How about those times when a full-scale MS exacerbation kicks in almost immediately after a major event? What if the flare-up had come a day earlier?

Sure, MS symptoms can crop up at the worst possible times as well. But when they hold off during critical moments, maybe those are miracles of sorts.

And, once modern medicine actually finds a cure for multiple sclerosis, maybe we will call that a miracle as well.

Image/s:
Created by this user
with public domain artwork

Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I believe in miracles too, and I hope one finds you. It takes so much emotional strength to cope day to to day with a progressive condition, but you seem to be bring a lot of grace and positive attitude into the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's okay to be a little Pollyanna in this particular area. And I love what Audrey Hepburn said too.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete