Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Saturday

Anyone anxious? Facing MS symptoms from A to Z



A multiple sclerosis diagnosis absolutely adds anxiety to anyone’s outlook. If you’re an MS warrior, you may have rehearsed possible worst-case scenarios in your own mind. If you love an MSer, you have probably heard some of these questions, or even asked them yourself (on behalf of your loved one).

  • What if MS leaves me in a wheelchair?
  • Will MS steal my eyesight forever?
  • Which symptoms will attack me, and how long will they last?
  • What if I fall and hurt myself badly?
  • Should I tell my boss / spouse / family / friends / etc. that I have MS?
  • Will I lose my job because of MS?
  • Who will take care of me, if MS leaves me incapacitated?
  • Can I die of MS?

I’d be willing to bet you can come up with dozens of other anxious questions about MS. 



And the scariest thing is this: The answer to many of these questions is a solid “Maybe,” although people aren’t likely to die of MS itself. The complications of living with the disease at the particularly problematic part.

Sure, we can do special breathing techniques, learn stress relief strategies, exercise regularly, and adopt healthy living practices. Some MSers take anti-anxiety medications.

Here’s a secret about anxiety from ancient Greek philosopher Epictetus:

“Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems.”

A battle with anxiety is part of the territory with MS. It’s a given, even if we don’t give in to it. 



Images:
Word cloud generated by Kicking MS to the Curb - All rights reserved
Series title graphic adapted from public domain artwork.



Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.
You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook and the Making the Most of MS board on Pinterest.

1 comment:

  1. All the best with your A to Z on this topic. I have a close family member with MS - so clearly of interest to me. I think research has come a long way and there's much hope for the future - Louise

    ReplyDelete