Living with M.S.

"Living with M.S. is sort of like training for a long race. The harder you try, and the longer you keep at it, the stronger you become.
Eventually, looking back, you may be amazed at the power you possessed, even when you had no idea it was within your reach." (Linda Ann Nickerson)

Thursday

Qualms - Facing MS symptoms from A to Z




Here’s one of those strange multiple sclerosis symptoms that few physicians will actually address. But it’s a constant reality for many MS warriors.


“What if” can become almost a mantra for many MSers.

Here are a few examples:

  • What if my worst symptom flares up at a particularly difficult moment?
  • What if I fall down and can’t get up again?
  • What if I end up in a wheelchair?
  • What if I can’t make it up the stairs, once we get there?
  • What if I lose the ability to bathe and dress myself?
  • What if I can’t afford my prescriptions?
  • What if my friends don’t understand why I have to cancel plans, when MS fatigue strikes?
  • What if MS incontinence flares up, while I am away from home?
  • What if I stumble and fall in front of other people?
  • What if I lose the vision in my other eye?
  • What if I start choking badly, and no one is there to help me?
  • What if my medical insurance changes?
  • What if so-and-so leaves me, once he/she finds out I have MS?
  • What if I do not regain mobility after this exacerbation?
  • What if my boss fires me because I have MS?
  • What if I suddenly can’t get out of bed tomorrow?

These questions are genuine concerns for plenty of MSers, even if the worst-case scenarios never happen. We tend to over-analyze the details of our lives, perhaps hoping to prevent miserable or potentially embarrassing mishaps. We may even cancel plans, just in case.


Qualms? You bet.


Images:
Word cloud generated by Kicking MS to the Curb - All rights reserved
Series title graphic adapted from public domain artwork.



Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.
You are invited to join the Kicking MS to the Curb page on Facebook and the Making the Most of MS board on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment